Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Let's go racin', boys! BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY! Gearshift them things!"

The infamous phrase--derived from the sounds made by horses galloping--that starts races and sells t-shirts. Translates into: "Hang on! Here we go!" (Darrell Waltrip, 2/2/03, The Cincinnati Enquirer)

(You also may recognize the phrase from Disney's movie, CARS.)

Wednesday night of the Southern Iowa fair I went with my dad to watch my younger brother Kurt race at the Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, IA. It was a big racing night, with the USMTS in town.

I have a lot of memories at this dirt track.  In the fourth grade I sang and played "Great Balls of Fire" in front of this grandstand for the Bill Riley Talent show, of which I have a video, that may or may not make an appearance someday.  I've watched some country music concerts here during fair week, though never legally.  There used to be a spot in the fence on the west side of the track you could peak through.  I also have memories of being a lot younger and falling asleep towards the end of the racing night, or trying to fall asleep accept for the nosiest cars always race last, which was when I was the sleepiest.  I also sang the national anthem the summer of 2003 before a race, which was the same night I met my husband Brian playing church league softball with my brothers, but that is a story for another time.  In other words, I feel pretty at home in this crowd. 

And so do these guys.  Kurt gets on the racing suit, an attempt at safety in case of fire in the car.



Adjusting the base of the car one last time.  Since this was the first night they've raced this summer, their adjustments seemed to be a shot in the dark. But I'm just the sister taking the pictures, and I really don't know a whole lot about mechanics of a race car.

It was hot last week.  The slip n slide we had the afternoon before sounded REALLY good.

 My nephew Cody's sweet shirt that he made.

Spectators in the track pit can see the whole track if they stand on their trailers.  A haze of dust covers the pit all night.  So it is hot and dusty.  Good racing weather.


Kurt being interviewed be fore he draws a number for a racing spot.  This interviewer could definitely enter the mullet contest at the Iowa State Fair.  That is meant to be a complement.

Back to the car.  His twin brother Karl is on the left of the photo.  Older brother BJ in green, and his friend Mitchel on the right, who was a really good helper.  He had a good pit crew. They were cheap.

Pulling out of the pits to line up.  I didn't know at the time, but the ambulance in the background would enter into this event soon...

We stood on the east side of the track, and because we couldn't see the who thing, we'd watch for the orange car to pass each round.  Then he didn't show up... and the cars were making their rounds with no orange 21 car driving, then the drivers got a yellow light, and I got a little nervous.

Then found this scene in the pit.  No serious injuries, but serious enough...

Here is the inside of the drivers seat.  You can see the steering wheel "column" on the top left of the photo.  (The steering wheel gets put on after the driver is in the car.)  There is a tear in the steel on the right of the seat, underneath the shifter.

The drive shaft came loose and hit him in the arm and the leg.  the joint that came out is actually not on the picture, but off of the left side.  A drive shaft is supposed to be straight.  He still placed 14 out of 24, and made some money, so he did good.

Then it was time for the noisy cars, the A modifieds.  Pull out the earplugs.

It was nice to be back at the Southern Iowa Speedway, taking pictures without little boys to worry about for a few hours. 

No comments: