Monday, June 29, 2009

Reed's Lake 5K


Saturday I joined some friends in running the Reed's Lake 5K. It was the first time most of us had participated in a running event like this, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the morning. I ran a few miles on Thursday and Friday to make sure I would survive the race.
Over 1700 runners participated in the 5k and 900 runners ran the 10k. A microchip sticker they gave us to put on our shoe told me online that my time was a little over 38 minutes.
I don't have a fancy ipod like many of the other runners, so I enjoyed listening to the conversations around me as I ran. Just having labored with Elliot I realized that giving birth and running have a lot of similarities. The encouragement runners offer each other sound a lot like the coaching needed in labor, "you're doing a good job," "let's get to the top of this hill," "relax your arms and shoulders." After thinking this, I even heard several women joke about memories running evoked for them of their labor experiences. So you might wonder, why in the world would you want to wake up at 6a.m. and run three miles? Because discipline and hardwork reaps great rewards, confidence and lots of celebration after completing the race!
Several dads were running with their young daughters or sons and it was fun to hear their conversations. My favorite was about a 9-year old boy, who had enough energy to run circles around his mom ask, "can I sprint the next half mile and then wait for you?"
Now I have to convince Brian to run with me. In high school he was running 400 meters in less than a minute at State and the Drake relays....if I just gave labor three weeks ago, he has no excuse!

2 comments:

Jeff and Beth Gutierrez said...

Good job! We're proud of you!

Monkey-Farmer-38 said...

That's great Becky! I only started running (well mostly walking fast) a few weeks ago but I don't think I am ready for a 3 mile run. And so soon after having Elliot. You're amazing.