Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hospital Stay and Sickness

Being sick is about as bad as the last weeks of winter. All three kiddos have been fighting sickness as winter comes to and end and spring tries to break through. We had one in the hospital and two in the Emergency Room in one weekend.

I can't help but wonder if I should have fed them healthier, or kept them away from public places during flu season, but we'll never know if it would have helped.

Great Aunt Donna admitting Zachary on a Thursday morning. It made Zach very comfortable to have a nurse that looked like grandma Jan!

Zachary is a very happy boy, so measuring his severity of sickness based on attitude wasn't an accurate measure, which I realized in the middle of the night when he was severely lethargic.


While in the hospital, Brian brought in each of the other boys to the ER, a day apart. One for RSV/pneumonia and one for RSV/ear infection. Here we are reading Billy Goats Gruff, a book we found in the ER, and replacing the three goat's names with "Ezra, Elliot and Zachary" to keep them settled while receiving a treatment.

It was a very discouraging week and weekend, exhausted from sleepless nights. This second visit to the ER while in the hospital already with Zachary about drove me crazy. But then it was all immediately put in perspective. I recognized our ER doctor, which brought back memory of the last time Brian and I were in the ER, four and a half years ago with our second miscarriage in a year, while we were visiting Iowa. In all the craziness of coming from the hospital room to the ER, I hadn't realized the irony of this until I recognized the doctor. Four years ago I would have not thought that Brian and I would have three children in less than three years.

Zach, ready to go home on a Sunday morning, in healthier shape then his two older brothers at the time.


Zachary's first words... in the hospital!


Brian, arguably, had a tougher job with two sick bigger boys at home. He took this video while Zach and I were in the hospital, of their "tea party." (not exactly what I would expect them to be playing with dad that weekend).

No comments: