Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Baby Tags

One of my favorite gifts we received when Ezra was born was a handmade book with his name on it. It fit in perfect on a shelf above his crib and celebrated the new addition to our family. For some lucky parents, picking a name is easy. For others, it is a struggle. Many parents put a lot of thought into choosing names that their kids will grow up with and grow into.

Now I like to give a handmade gift with the new baby's name, because of how special this was for me. I also like to recycle old things and make them new. These baby tags are created from scrap minkee fabric from blankets I've made and from ribbons I collect from garage sales or gift wrapping. I do buy a few spools of ribbon to help pull it all together.

You can adjust the size and shape for what scrap fabric you have. They also look great with varied textures and colors of ribbon. I reinforce each with a piece of upholstry fabric on the inside, so that they aren't so flimsy and will withstand a lot of wear and tear, but you don't have to. The picture on the right shows how you begin "inside-out" with the rightsides of the fabric facing each other, the ribbons folded inbetween and their raw ends sticking out. After sewing around all but an inch and a half of the edge, flip the right-sides out through the space you didn't sew and use a pencil to push out your corners. Sew the last inch and a half by hand.
Now, Brian and I need to get working on a moniker for Ezra's little brother or sister!


No comments: